Saturday, October 27, 2012

Mostly relaxing and enjoying still

We've had a busy last 4 days, starting with the long drive up to Pleasant Hills. It's suppose to be a 6 hour trip, but add getting petrol, snacks, drinks and visiting Mum and family along the way, it becomes more like an 8 1/2 hour trip!

When we arrived the first thing to do was assemble the barbeque, since we needed to cook dinner with it. I'm embarrased to admit that I left the instructions at home, so we attempted to piece it together adlib. That didn't turn out so well, so I had the opportunity to try out the mobile phone coverage and download a PDF of the instructions. Thankfully it worked and we were able to try the barbie that night, which was delicious and very welcome!

I forgot to mention that on the way we came across a stray dog in the middle of the road - just before we got to the farm. Well, not long after we arrived, he made his way to the house and said hello.

He looked very very hungry and he was quite scared - but friendly enough. We didn't have any dog food or much to offer other than some cornflakes and water, which he took. He didn't hang around for too long, taking off towards town before dark.

We slept comfortably, and it wasn't too cold this time!

The next morning was relaxing, quiet and the dog came back as well! In fact, he made himself quite at home.

Marty and I enjoyed a relaxing day. We did a little work getting some of the grass and weeds around the house down with the old scythe, there was a short trip to the next town of Lockheart, and a little cleaning too. Marty and I installed a deadbolt in the door without using any electricity! We used a hand-powered drill, a hammer and chisel to get the job done.

But there were naps to be taken, and relaxing to be done. Just enjoying our first time there since before settlement. We got some food for dog, and he spent the whole day (after eating all he could) sleeping it off before leaving again. He didn't come to say goodbye to us the next day though.

After another good night sleep, we checked the solar set up (so Marty can get some more information and perhaps ask some questions about it), and found out the dimensions of the flue required in the kitchen. It's an old stove - IXL no. 4 (circa 1942) - with a 5 1/2 inch flue. It'll take a little hunting around for the right piece.

We came home yesterday and already have big plans for next time. We need to organise toilet facilities, and hopefully install the flue in the kitchen if we have it ready, and the roof needs some repairs - although there is only so much time.

I get home and feel a combination of excitement - thinking of all the things we'd like to do there - and being overwhelmed at the scale of the task. Marty reminds me that we'll just take it one day at a time.

No comments:

Post a Comment