Monday, July 16, 2018

Green n frosty

It's that time of year again, the frost that takes out the tomatoes comes around and I have to run around with a camera taking shots of the ice covering everything. The photo below is of the stump I use to peen (sharpen) the scythe on, and the strawbales behind it.


I'm not sure the mandarin tree enjoys the frost, but it doesn't complain.


Alpine strawberries. I really hadn't considered their name until just now. I guess it makes sense that they're absolutely fine with frost! It's still flowering and looking well.


Nothing escaped the first big frost this year, not even in the shadehouse, although the effect was less in there, the plants that are not cold tolerant just keeled over. It's almost a relief when it comes to tomatoes, since I don't have the heart to pull out green plants, even if their fruit hasn't been ripening, but now that they're black, I have a good excuse. Perennials that died are just going to have to be a lesson in what I can't have here. That included a lovely little pawpaw tree, a couple of ornamental plants, and succulents. Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll live again in Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment