Thursday, January 24, 2019

Sweating

Very hot, dry weather has me indoors for the day again. The mornings are nice enough to put on some jeans, feed and water the animals, water the remaining plants, and do the composting. The rest of the day is spent sweating and trying to get the indoor chores done. 40°C+ (104°F+) weather outside is for the critters; the insects and the reptiles. The poor magpies and choughs seek shade under the veranda, and I have water set out for them. In a blatant waste of water, we spray down the area around the back door, keeping the plants, birds, insects and the solar system slightly cooler. The ants are so thirsty, they take the water immediately, and the bees will come drink off your skin if you spray yourself down first!


It's very difficult to get a good picture of the wasp above, but it's black and white and is dragging a big brown spider into a hole. The spider is paralysed and can't do a thing about it, and will become a meal for the wasp's babies when they hatch. They're amazing, and they always find the biggest spiders that we generally don't see.


Marty and I at the big Murray Cod by the river in Tocumwal, NSW.


Marty and I have lost a bit of weight lately, since starting the all meat diet. That wasn't our aim, but we're not complaining. It's more of a toning than anything, bloating, water weight, that kind of thing. We're both feeling better, no more wondering what made us feel terrible or bloated after a meal. I haven't had any more joint pains and the pain in my sciatic nerve from my lower back down to my legs has calmed down a lot. We have more energy than usual, more often than usual. We're on our way to better health, anyway.

We're both torn between staying here and leaving for the greenery and healing ocean waters of Queensland. On the one hand, this little home on 20 acres is paid for. We can keep sheep and/or cattle if we wanted. We're free to do as we please, for the most part, and we do love it here. It's not an easy decision, and it occupies much of our thoughts.

In the meantime, we will keep working on making this place better, and hopefully Marty will be finished working in town soon, and we can really start to make some progress.

2 comments:

  1. Well you're certainly both looking fit and healthy! I too am maintaining the morning ritual of filling bowls and such like. Not 40+ but a lot hotter (and for way longer) than we are used to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had a few week stretches of 40+'s, last year, so I know it's not fun! It happened again this year, only we're just under the 40's. It's the long stretches of hot temps, however, that make it so challenging for all lifeforms.

    In Qld, it's hot and dry in many places too. So if you do move, you may end up in a greener place - or maybe not. I've lived in the Darling Downs/Granite belt for several decades now, and can tell you - what was once green, is now becoming brown. In increasingly larger stretches of land too.

    If I lived in NSW's though, I think I'd move to Qld, just for the reduced taxes. I don't know if it's the case, but I wonder if NSW is the most, State taxed State, in Australia? I was amazed how cheap everything was (food/fuel/land) in Qld. Although, not in the lush, green places, near the coast. ;)

    ReplyDelete