Wednesday, December 4, 2019

December 2019

Conditions around the farm have predictably dried out, and although we've had some 40°C (104°F) weather, we've also had some very cold weather that saw us both sleeping fully clothed in jumpers and scarves the other night. Most of the trees we planted over winter have dried out and died. It just hasn't been the right year for tree planting again this year. Still, we haven't lost any established trees yet, although their suffering is obvious. The fig tree leaves are very small and sad this year, and many trees look very thirsty. We received 4mm (0.15 inches) of rain recently, and there was a 20mm (0.78 inches) rainfall early last month which helped but didn't save anything. The dam is at it's lowest level, loosing about a metre (or 3.28 feet) of water last month. I water what I can, but the ground around the trees is so dry, the water soaks in but seems to achieve very little. The Old Man Saltbush planted nearer to the house gets some dirty dishes water, they're still looking thirsty - saltbush is suppose to be really very tough, but even they need a good winter season to establish before the 40° degree days hit. We have a little Cootamundra Wattle 'Purpurea' that is being given some dishes water too, and happily it looks like it might be tough enough. It has purple new growth and grey leaves, and will be a lovely big tree dropping plenty of biomass as it gets older. I planted it where we'd originally planted a Paulownia tree, who didn't stand a chance in hindsight. I have some carob trees I was going to plant, but I'll keep them in their pots until autumn and hope for a better winter next year. I don't like wasting effort, money or seedlings.

Squeak's story

I was in the garden, watering trees, when I saw a blue faced grass parrot hanging around Squeak's aviary. I'd actually seen her once or twice over the last few days, and didn't think much of it other than she was a very lovely little grass parrot. Turns out, she was very interested in Squeak, and he was very interested in her! She hung around his aviary, squeaking in the same tone as he does, even landing on the door and peering in. Marty was sitting on the porch at the time, watching the scene and being moved by it too, and I asked him to come open the door for them. She was so infatuated with Squeak, she didn't fly off when Marty came to the aviary door. She just hid around the back of the aviary and waited while Marty propped open the door and slowly backed away. We both held our breaths as she almost made her way inside the aviary (which would have been wonderful), but then Squeak realised the door was open and shot out like a bolt of lightening, and she followed! They rose high into the blue sky, flying around each other, flying free. I figured if she's made it in the wild, then she can help Squeak make it in the wild too. We hope that Squeak is happy, making lots of little Squeaks, or at very least, enjoying his freedom. It certainly beats waiting for old age to take him in his 3m x 1.8m aviary. We think about him, sometimes wondering if we've done the right thing. I put his feeder out and made it available to all the birds. Maybe he'll remember where to come back to if he needs it.

As for our health

I wanted to wait until I had a "success story" to write about health and the carnivore diet, but that could be years off yet. We felt fantastic in the initial 3 weeks, which was very important, because it gave us an idea of what things could be like, what they WILL be like once again. We felt strong, energetic, vibrant. Right now, though, I've been dealing with joint pain like I've never felt, even before the diet. It's called "oxalate dumping", and I can testify, it hurts a hell of a lot more coming out than it did going in. Oxalates are sharp crystals found in plants (and chocolate) that damage the body where they are stored. I think women in general are more likely to have oxalate issues because of the silly amounts of salads and green smoothies, almond milk and dark chocolate we consume, in general, that is. Well, I tend to think there's some people who just aren't good at getting rid of oxalate from their system, and it causes issues from the get-go. For me, it was constant urinary tract infections from my teenage years onward. They also seem to have collected in my joints. Added to that the tendency I have for muscle soreness due to the hyper-mobility in my joints (I can do bendy tricks with my fingers, wrists and my lower back is also hyper-mobile, making me a limbo winner, but at the cost of constant back pain). The oxalates stored in my joints are being shoved out at what feels like a slow but painful rate. They're also causing some urinary discomfort, and an angry skin rash on my forehead. My energy levels have tanked and I feel like sleeping this part of the experience away.
Marty has been dealing with psoriasis (or what looks like the oxalate dumping rash as well) on his feet almost since the beginning of this diet, which is considered a common symptom. His asthma alternates between vast improvement needing no medication, to coughing up gunk and feeling worse at times. His energy levels aren't the best right now either, but thankfully he has had good days, like me, as well.
On our more recent good days, we did some work on the shade-house. We took down the old one, which was falling down, and got the metal, bent the hoops, measured and put in the posts, welded the hoops and posts together, made a side for the door, added one piece of shade-cloth to the structure and.. that's where we stopped. I know we will finish it in time, but it can be frustrating looking out on our half finished project. I have faith, if you can call it that, that this too shall pass, and we will enjoy good health and energy once again. I've educated myself about oxalate dumping from Sally Norton's talks and have ordered some electrolytes that help support our bodies during this process. The alternative is that our health will continue on a downward spiral, and we may as well give up and move back to civilization. No! I won't accept poor health. What keeps me going is knowing that I'm doing what's best for our health, and I don't plan for either of us to get worse, like everyone we know seems to be.

Mum visited us last week while they were down for some doctors appointments. I'm sorry to say, but I've never seen her look so sick. I really hoped they'd stay on the carnivore diet (or a Ketogenic or at very least Low Carb High Fat diet) which was having so many benefits for them before. They'd lost weight, Mum said she felt mentally clearer, her husband had to reduce his blood pressure meds all within a week of us visiting and feeding them a meat only diet. Since that time they've eaten anything they like and they've both gained a lot of weight. Mum's legs and feet are so swollen, stiff and sore. She's cut back on her work shifts, in constant pain, and she's become very forgetful and not "with it" like before. We showed them the educational videos, and I talk about carnivore diet's benefits almost constantly, but Marty and I feel helpless.

There was a point in my life where I stopped going to doctors to "fix" my health problems. Early on I was diagnosed with IBS, with PMS, with UTI's, and they ignored any other symptoms saying that they weren't caused by X, so they don't exist somehow. They had no answers, only more pills and useless surgeries / procedures. Unsurprisingly, anxiety and depression kicked in. We found a naturopathic doctor who accepted all my symptoms, diagnosed me with a mycoplasma infection and fibromyalgia, and her solution was a strict elimination diet and antibiotic regime which we followed for 6 years, it helped but didn't solve everything. We tried for years after that to be healthy, eating mostly a plant based paleo diet and all the green organic things we could get into ourselves.. when all this time it turns out the best thing we could do is the simplest: to only eat what is necessary for optimal human health. It comes down to meat, salt, and water. So simple.

So, while I can't claim that Marty or I are carnivore success stories just yet, we're on our way. It's almost been a year since we started. We have days and sometimes a whole week of great health. I wish there was some way I could convince everyone who is suffering from pain and poor health to give this a try. It really has changed my life, and Marty is pretty healthy and happy these days despite his feet and being a bit low on energy for the time being. My mental health is very much improved and I feel happier and more relaxed. My teeth are smooth and clean and my tongue is pink rather than white. I have woken without back pain for weeks at a time! I have had many good days which were completely pain free, which is amazing for me. My monthly cramps have eased, no more passing out from the pain! Neither of us have become sick this past year, we've lost weight but retained (and even gained) muscle mass. Marty and my hair and nails are stronger, longer and healthier than before. Bloating and stomach pain is a thing of the past for both of us, and all the bathroom issues are fixed as well! Falling asleep is so easy now, we no longer dread lying awake for hours in bed. Making meals is easy and fast, grocery shopping is a breeze, life is just all over better on the carnivore diet. So, overall it's been worth it, and the story's not over yet. I look forward to this second year of carnivore and all the good things that will come with it. After all, the only real downside is not eating for entertainment / just for fun. Well, plain beef jerky can be kinda fun. :)

I found the following website recently that is chocker-block FULL of very useful links about the carnivore / keto / LowCarbHighFat diet. I do hope it can help someone out there.

Marty - at the end of August 2019

1 comment:

  1. I am so happy for Squeak. I also will keep your diet in mind along with everyone else that is on a diet seeking better health. Thanks for the pic of Marty. I saved it so I have a recent pic of him.

    ReplyDelete