Friday, August 24, 2018

Blooming beautiful August

It's starting to become green around here, as well as yellow, and white and red from the flowers that are blooming. It's beautiful, uplifting and gives me hope. It's the kindest time of year for the garden, despite the cold mornings, there is moisture around. I'm deliberately not pulling weeds this year. I'm partnering with them instead. Lets see how it goes!

Broccoli seedlings in a mass of "weeds"
Giving the plants I want an advantage, of course, but leaving the living roots in the soil - that's what it's all about. I've been reading "Call of the Reed Warbler" by Charles Massy, which talks about regenerative agriculture in Australia. Inspirational. There are farmers in worse conditions than ours, using no or minimal inputs, not killing plants, and supporting the soil life to make a living. True managers and caretakers of our land. He talks about plenty of farmers, but Bruce Maynard and his "no-kill cropping" is my favourite. :)

The wattles we planted along the fence-line are flowering

The almond flowers look lovely, but I planted the jonquils for their smell
I've been watching everything I can on YouTube with Gabe Brown in the USA who's keeping a living root in the soil at all times. I heard him talking in an interview about Colin Seis as being an the next big innovation, which got me reading about him in the book above, and realising Joel Salatin was talking about this stuff too when he was in Australia not too long ago. It's a revolution! :)

A local native fern growing at the top of the hill
So, given that I'm absorbing so many inspirational ideas lately, and that the grass is finally getting green and the local birds are singing their hearts out, it's hard not to get caught up in it all. The new bird for this year is the Noisy Friarbird that I can't seem to get a photo of.. but click on the "Calls" play button on the right side of that linked page, and you'll hear what I've been hearing lately. Along with the usual bird sounds of the Choughs squawking and arguing by the dam, the soft "alarm" of the Grey-Crowned Babblers, the squeaking of the parrots looking for nest sites (sometimes sounding like they're tearing holes in our roof to make nesting sites), the crowing of our rooster and the faint sounds of the Guinea Fowl from the neighbours. Sometimes it's so noisy, it's hard to tell the different birds apart, and other times it's so quiet, except for the hum of the bees on the almond tree flowers. The insects are starting to build in number, although they're all quite slow in the cold. Easy to take photos of, at least!


I feel a little bit like a kid, full of hope and optimism. I know summer is just around the corner, though, and I'm expecting a tougher year than last. The water tanks are not full, and it'll be many years before the shade trees help cool things down in the garden. Still, it's not all as bad as the news makes it out to be. We don't have livestock to feed and water, and for good reason for the time being. I really do believe that well managed farms will bounce back from this "drought" fairly quickly. After all, it's a natural part of the weather cycles in this country, always has been, always will be.

Welsh bunching onions x3 - finally looking happy
So, in my optimism, I'm continuing to plant trees in the hopes that they will live, grow, provide shade, insect and bird habitat, living roots and fungal networks and all the benefits that photosynthesis provides.

Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment